Department of Home Science
About the Department
- Started in 1988 as a principal subject. The three year course covers subjects like family management, food and nutrition, dressing, social practices etc.
- Changes made in the courses or programmes during the past five years and the contribution of the faculty to those changes?
The syllabus has been changed in FYBA, SYBA & TYBA in 2005 according to modern scientific methods & trends.
Ms. Shashikala is a member of Board of Studies in Gujarat for the last 15 years. She developed the course of food preservative and diet therapy. Foods & nutrition up to 50% in 2003.
Ms. Shobhna Pandit is also an external counselor Board of Studies.
Dr. Kiran Raval is associated with many activities related to Educational and Rural development programmes. She got the appreciation award for her work for the Earthquake victims.
- Trends in success rate and drop out rate of students during the past five years?
Result is 100%. Dropout rate is almost nil.
- Learning resources of the departments like library, computers, laboratories and other such resources?
The main learning resource for home science department is library, which provides with reference books, A/V, CDs, models and laboratories.
- Enhancement of the learning resources during the past five years.
There is a significant change in the learning resources during the past five years having new practical equipments, books and multimedia etc.
- Modern teaching methods in practice other than the lecture method.
Assignments, seminars, and projects allocated to students for self study so that their communication skill is enhanced.
- Plan of action of the department for the next five years.
- To get affiliation from B.A. to B.Sc.
- To start other minor & major research. M.Sc. Diploma in food preservation & fashion designing.
Dr. Shashikala Maheshwari
Dr. Shashikala Maheshwari has 19 years teaching experience at UG level and 05 years experience at PG level. She is a member of Board of Studies in Gujarat for the last 15 years. Dr. Shashikala has participated in many conferences and also presented research papers on various subjects related to home science. She has also completed a minor research project funded by UGC.
Dr. Shobhna K. Pandit
Mrs. Shobhna K. Pandit has 24 years teaching experience at UG level and 10 years experience at PG level. She is also an external counselor Board of Studies. She has also completed a minor research project funded by UGC. Dr. Pandit has participated in many conferences and also presented research papers on various subjects related to home science.
Dr. Kiran A. Raval M.A, Ph.D.
Dr. Kiran Raval has 14 years teaching experience at UG level and 04 years experience at PG level. She is also a faculty in Tourism and Hospitality Management Course.
Dr. Raval has got first class in the examinations of The Master Tailor, Teachers training in Needle craft, Women and Children garments making patterns, Embroidery and Fancy work conducted by Technical Examination Board, Gandhinagar. She also has done Diploma in Computer applications. She has got first class in Madhyama Pratham in Music.
She has participated in various seminars, conferences and workshops such as ‘Spiritual and Value Education’, ‘Management of Family resource: changing pattern and coping strategies’, National conference of Home Science, etc. Dr. Raval is working as a resource person with Rajyog Education and Research Foundation in the dept. of Rural Development Wing since 1997 and with Education wing since 2000.
Jyoti K. Patel M.A.
Ms. Patel has teaching experience of 14 years at UG level. She has her specialization in Clothing and Textiles.
- Total number of students : 78
- Achievements of the students :
Ms. Anjana lal and Ms. Anjana Megani from S.Y.B.A. stood 2nd and 7th in Kachchh University.Ms. Bhasani Sonpal and Ms. Shilpa Anam of F.Y.B.A. stood 2nd in Kachchh University.