Department of Chemistry
About the Department
- Started in : 1969
- Changes made in the courses or programmes during the past five years and the contribution of the faculty to those changes :
The college had been affiliated to Gujarat University since the beginning. Certain minor changes have been made in the syllabus during the last five years. Mr. Ramesh Luhana has been on the board of studies ( Guj. Uni) for the last three years . He attended the meetings and participated in the discussion over the syllabus also.
Since the year 2004, the college has come under the purview of newly founded Kutch University with the head quarter at BHUJ . New syllabus for First year B.Sc. has already been framed out, which is likely to be implemented from June 2007. Mr. Ramesh Luhana was involved in the syllabus committee.
- Trends in success rate and drop out rate of students during the past five years :
The success rate lies between 85 to 90 %
- Learning resources of the departments like library, computers, laboratories and other such resources :
The department has no separate library as such. We have one central library in the College There is no separate computer in the department . There are three laboratories including one for instrumentation practicals.
- Enhancement of the learning resources during the past five years: Electronic balance introduced from June 2004
- Modern teaching methods in practice other than lecture method :
We have got models of certain chemical molecules. These are shown to the students as and when required . Moreover models of some small molecules are created using ball and sticks that we have since last ten years. Power point presentation is also done sometimes. Seminars , group discussions by students and practical demonstration is also a part of study programme.
- Plan of action of the department for the next five years:
The college desires to start Post Graduate classes in Chemistry & a Diploma in Industrial Testing.
Mr. Ramesh Luhana
Mr. Ramesh Luhana is the Vice Principal of the college. He is a man of Science with a heart of literature and creativity. For more than 14 years, he has been honorary correspondent to a Gujarati news paper ‘Kutch Mitra’ and a Sindhi Daily ‘Hindu’. Besides countless news items ( press notes ) , more than 100 articles on various subjects ( Education, Social Science etc) have been so far published in Kutch Mitra. He has offered his services as visiting faculty to Tolani Institute of Pharmacy for Four years.
Dr. Papia Chatterjee
Dr. Papia Chatterjee is a dynamic senior lecturer in the department. She had also given her services to a subject “ Food science and Quality Control ”, a vocational course of three years duration introduced in the year 1997. Apart from being a very popular teacher, she is a very good singer and enlightens the audience in the college gatherings by her melodious voice.
- Total number of students : 264
- Highlights of Students Success Story :
- Ms. Darshana Momaya has qualified UPSC examination and working with Telecommunication department at Delhi.
- Ms. Reeta Kewalramani, also cleared her IAS Exams and selected for the Railway job. She has been with Western Railways and working as manager ( personnel) at Mumbai.
- Mr. Pranav Shrivastawa , a graduate of chemistry of our college did his Masters followed by the degrees of M.Phil and Ph.D from Gujarat University and is now Reader with the Dept of Chem., Guj Uni. He topped the B.Sc. and M.Sc batches of his times.
- Ms. Anoo Verghese, Ms. Soni Girdhani, Ms. Prajya Shrivastawa, Ms. Deepa Menon and Mr. Pranav Shrivastawa have topped their M.Sc Exams winning gold medals. Ms. Deepa cleared NET.
- Ms. Rex George did her Ph.D from SP University , Vallabh Vidya Nagar in Polymer Chemistry . Now setteled in America.
- Ms. Minaxi Gidwani did her Masters and Ph.D from Gujarat University and presently she is working as an executive with some pharma firm at Mumbai.
- Mr. Har Kishan Asnani did his Ph.D and is an executive with Petroleum Chemical department of Reliance India Ltd.