Department of Sociology
About the Department
- Started in 1993 as a subsidiary subject.
- Change in syllabus during past 5 years
The new Syllabus for subsidiary first and subsidiary second was framed in 2003 – 04. Mr. Babubhai T. Kathia was a member of the FYBA & SYBA sociology subsidiary I & II syllabus revision committee. The new format is introduced from June – 2007 onwards in Kutch University colleges for FYBA.
- Trends in success rate and drop out rate of students during last five years.
About 90% of students emerge successful in the University exams every year. The drop out rate of the students is 10%.
- Learning resources of the departments like library, computers, laboratories and other such resources.
The department has a support of a well-stacked library which has text books, reference book, encyclopedias, and miscellaneous reading material. Computer and internet facility has been made available for the staff members.
- Modern Teaching method in practice other than the lecture method.
In addition to the basic formal lecture method, the faculty uses other aids like paper presentation by the students, preparation of charts for display, role play, group discussion, written assignment submission, project work, questionnaire etc.
- Plan of action of the department for the next five years.
Our plan of action for the next five years is to pursue some minor as well as major projects. We are planning to introduce sociology as principal subject in our collage.
Babubhai T. Kathia M.A., M.Phil. HoD
Mr. Babubhai T. Kathia has an experience of 13 years for teaching Sociology at UG level. He is the Chairperson of Sociology subject in Kachchh University. He is also a paper setter, evaluator and moderator at Kachchh University and Gujarat University.
He has attended UGC sponsored workshop for collage teachers on “Higher Education Knowledge Society, Issues in Examination and Evaluation System” organized by Tolani commerce collage and ‘Sensitization and orientation of teachers to meet the requirement of modern times’ organised by Kutch University of Bhuj. He has attended 13th convention of sociology held on 28 & 29 January 2006 at H. K. Arts collage, Ahmedabad.
He has guided several students in conducting surveys related child labour in local area, literacy ratio etc.
- Total number of students : 400
- Achievements of the students :
- Chart display
- Paper presentations
- Social survey on child labour.
- Visit to the school of physically and mentally challenged children
- Social survey on ‘the struggle and stress on working women managing home and career’.
- Social survey on different aspects of various communities.