Department of Biology / Botany
About the Department
- Started in : 1969
- Changes made in the courses or programmes :
F.Y.B.Sc. Syllabus was changed in 2003S.Y.B.Sc. Syllabus was changed in 2004
- Trends in success rate and drop out rate of students during the past five years :
Average Result : 95 to 98 %.Drop out rate of student - Nil.
- Learning resources of the departments like library, computers, laboratories and other such resources:
- Departmental Library
- Full-fledged Laboratory
- Field Work
- Enhancement of the learning resources and teaching methods during the past five years:
- Use of Laptop and Multimedia- Power Point presentation
- Use of Charts-Posters
- Use of Models
- Use of Actual living material
- Field study
- Plan of action of the department for the next five years:
- Development of departmental library, laboratory, herbaria and botanical garden.
- To start third year B.Sc. and take it up to M.Sc. Biosciences.
- Addition of plant tissue culture as a part of syllabus and to collaborate department with other institute, farmers and industries.
- Seeking for projects from U.G.C.
- Any other highlights:
Under the banner the Biology department itself a course in C.O.P. named Biotechnology is been conducted for which we have an ultra modern Tissue culture laboratory.
Dr. Kalpesh D. Sorathia M.Sc., Ph.D.
Dr. Kalpesh D. Sorathia is also the Coordinator of the U.G.C. sponsored Career Oriented Programmes. He has attended several National/International conferences/seminars including an international conference on ‘Education for Sustainable Development’ at Dada Dukhayal College, Adipur and National conferences on ‘Emerging Areas in Plant Sciences’ at Bhavnagar University, National seminar on ‘Botany-Meeting the Challenges and Generating interest among the masses’ at Gujarat University, 92nd Indian Science Congress at Nirma University, Workshop on ‘Plant Identification and Documentation at M. S. University, Baroda, National level symposium ‘Atmiya Scitech Utsav – 2006 at Rajkot etc. He has published three research papers and a book named ‘Economic Botany’.
Dr. Bhanu H. Kakrani
Dr. Bhanu H. Kakrani has more than 12 years college teaching experience. She has co-authored the books ‘Water, Environment & Pollution’ and ‘Air, Environment & Pollution’. She has also published three research papers. She teaches special course on Environment at the First Year level as suggested by the UGC.
- The total no.of students : 152
- Students Achievements : F.Y.B.Sc. ( Biology )
- 2005 : Uni.1st : Aman Imran Khan
- 2006 : Uni. 1st : Bhagvati Vaishnawa
4th : Deena FernandezS.Y.B.Sc. (Botany)
6th : Bonny Madiyar
8th : Devinder Dhanoa
9th : Sumitha Pillai
10th : Nilay Vyas
- 2006 : Uni. 1st : Zashmi Khan