Department of English
About the Department
- Started in 1962 as a compulsory subject and in 1995 as principal subject. PG in English was started in 2005.
- Change in syllabus during past 5 years.
The new syllabus for English Principal subject was framed in 2006 and new syllabus for English Compulsory at F. Y. B .A. level was also framed in 2006. Ms Sonu L Daryani was a part of the F.Y.B.A. English Principal Subject Syllabus revision Committee.
- Trends in success rate and drop out rate of students during last five years.
About 95%of the students emerge successful in the university exams every year. The drop out rate of the students is around 10%
- Learning resources of the departments like library ,computers, laboratories and other such resources.
The department has a support system in the form of a well- stocked library which has text- books, reference books, dictionaries, fiction, non- fiction and miscellaneous reading material. Some weightage has also been given to spoken English & Communication Skills for which the library has a stock of a few audio Cassettes and some visual aids like CDS. Computer and internet facility has also been made available for staff members use.
- Enhancement of the learning resources during the past five years.
There has been a lot of enhancement in the learning recourses during the past five years. The library is being constantly updated and regarded with the latest and significant publications. The internet and multimedia is proving to be of immense help. Particular software has been recently installed for keeping a track of book records in the library.
- Modern Teaching method in practice other than the lecture method.
In addition to the basic formal lecture method, the faculty uses other aids like paper presentation by the students, preparation of chart for display, reading aloud in the class, poetry recitation, group discussion, role play, written assignment submission, project work, viva voce etc.
- Plan of action
PG center of English at college.
Sonu L. Daryani
Ms.Sonu L. Daryani is an M.A. First class from Gujarat University with a teaching experience of 22 years at U.G. level and 2 years at the P.G. level. She functions in the capacity of paper-setter, evaluator & moderator, and is also the chairperson of Board of studies for English at Kachchh University. She has attended various seminars and workshops like “Asia & Asian Cities” in 2005, “Sensitization and orientation of teachers” in 2005, “Higher education in knowledge and society” and a national seminar on “Shakti – empowerment of women” organized by Dept. of English Studies, Gujarat University in 2001.
- Total number of students : 180
- Achievements of the students :
- Miss Madhu Kewlani stood first at the University level in English subject in the year 1999. She was awarded gold medal by Gujarat University.b) Ms. Kanti Malasattar is appointed as a lecturer in M S University, Baroda.
- Manoj Chhaya got highest marks in M Phil at SP University in the year 2005. He was second ranker at MS University for MA in 2004.
- Bindia Macwan is a gold medalist (2005) for B Ed. at SP University, Vallabh Vidyanagar. Best student Award-2005- by HM Patel Institute of English, Vallabh Vidyanagar.
- Sophia Mathew is the only distinction holder in Kachchh (2004) at TYBA level.